Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

Tips for Pumping


Having dealt with so many myself, I have an odd facination for solving issues associated with breast feeding.  My now 4 month old son practically destroyed me during the first 8 weeks of his life.  I had to suspend nursing for 3 weeks and bottle feed expressed breast milk.   For three weeks I pumped 8 or 9 times a day.   Because of this and the people who know this,  I frequently get asked tips for pumping.   So here are my tips based on my experience to share! 

For increasing milk supply/ maximizing the amount of milk you get from a pump: 


  1. Change the size of your flanges on your pump.   The Medela Pump in Style (most popular model) comes with 24mm. breast sheild flanges.   Chances are you require a larger size.   If you're rubbing against the sides of the tube, you need a bigger size.   Target sells 27mm.  Turns out I am a 36mm, which can be purchased at Memorial Health in Savannah or online here.  
  2. Power pump.   Choose an hour long TV show and sit down free of distractions (if possible!)  Pump for 10 minutes.  Rest for 10 minutes.   Pump for 10 minutes.  Rest for 10 minutes.  Do this for 60 minutes.   The goal is NOT milk, the goal is to trick your body into believing you need more milk.   Do this once a day for three or four days.  Continue to pump even if you aren't getting any milk. It's the stimulation you're looking for.  
  3. I sat on the floor, a bit hunched over, with my back against the couch.   This may sound strange but my back was supported and I let gravity do the work with the pumping.  When sitting on a couch leaned back or on the bed, I got less milk.  
  4. As I have read and experienced, your body generally has two or three let downs.   At first you may get a lot of milk, then it stops.  Don't let that stop your pumping.  You may get another let down, maybe even a third.  Pump for 15-20 minutes.  Don't pump longer than 30 - that's just uncomfortable!
  5. When the flow slows or stops, do breast compressions by squeezing from top and down.  
  6. Relax.  Don't pump after paying bills, while in a fight with your husband, or thinking about something stressful... If you can be next to baby while pumping, that helps.   If you aren't with baby, think about baby, see a picture or even (sounds creepy) smell something of the baby. 
  7. I had a lot of success with More Milk Plus by MotherLove.  Many take the herbal supplement called Fenugreek three times a day at meals.   When taken together, your milk should greatly increase your supply. (I nearly doubled my supply after More Milk Plus.)  I was also recommended Go Lacta by a lactation consultant at Savannah Memorial but never took this.  
  8. Eat watermellon between pumping.
  9. Eat oatmeal frequently. 
Making pumping simpler: 
  1. If you are on a feed, wake, sleep schedule like in Baby Wise,  pump while baby is sleeping, then you can have fresh, temperature ready milk when baby wakes up to eat.   No heating of bottles then.  
  2. If you have a large supply and you can pump directly into the bottle that you will be feeding, Motzel tov!  Then you don't need to wash the collection bottles, too.  
  3. Through your pumping supplies in the fridge after your pump every other time - so you don't spend half your day washing and sanitizing.  Some lactation consultants I talked to, one in particular at the Hilton Head Hospital, said its okay to leave your supplies out for up to 8 hours all set up.   I've read different things about this.   I personally don't leave milk out longer than 4 hours. 

For your sanity: 
  1. If you're goal is the feed exclusive breast milk but you are lacking supply, add 1 or 2 oz. of formula (or whatever you're deficit is) to the breast milk for 2 bottles to "get ahead."  Often times I found I was stressed about getting a full feeding if there wasn't a full feeding in the fridge, but if I had two or three feedings ahead, I would actually get the full feeding.   If you're able to get ahead a few feedings, you may feel less stressed out.   I was able to quit supplementing after a few days of this. 
  2. Have your husband or helper feed the baby at night, so you can pump at the same time the baby is eating.  Feeding, then pumping, and then cleaning can be a long process, if you have someone to reduce the amount of time spent - take it.  You can feed the baby the bottle during the day hopefully. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

MyPublisher, Inc.